Changing your HVAC system’s filter is a routine part of maintenance that every homeowner should be aware of. Failure to change your filter often enough can result in reduced performance, higher energy bills, and shorter lifespan of your furnace and air conditioner.
Why is the Filter so Important?
The filter is the only defense between the air in your home and the precision moving parts inside of your HVAC system, especially in homes with pets. Dander, hair, and dust can very quickly impair your filter’s ability to allow adequate airflow while trapping contaminants. When this occurs, the moving parts of your system will work harder than necessary to circulate air through your home, which presents a number of problems:
- Poor airflow places strain on your unit, shortening its life dramatically.
- In the summer, poor airflow from a dirty filter can result on your air conditioning system freezing, which restricts or terminates the cool air in your home.
- Higher energy bills will result from overworked equipment.
It’s important to understand the risk factors that an improperly managed filter presents. Consider the following guidelines to ensure maximum performance from your HVAC system:
- Many filters are 30-day filters. This means: whether it “looks” dirty or not, it is nevertheless wise to mark your filter-exchange days on your calendar and adhere to this schedule.
- Premium filters often have their own schedules, but keep in mind: if you live in a home with pets, you should account for extra strain on your filter and shorten this window accordingly. If your filter claims 60-day functionality, it might be best to shorten this to 45-days.
- Any time you undergo construction in your home, whether it’s large-scale remodeling or do-it-yourself fixes, ensure that your filter is not forgotten. Sawdust, drywall dust, and other airborne particles will adversely effect your filter in a very short time period.
In addition to maintaining the prescribed schedule of replacement for your filter, you can further ensure the efficient and streamlined operation of your system by enrolling in One Hour’s Comfort Club Maintenance Program. Membership in our Comfort Club provides many important benefits:
- Twice-yearly checks on your heating and air conditioning equipment. Our comprehensive checklist ensures maximum optimization of your equipment before their most strenuous months.
- The Comfort Club Guarantee ensures that if your equipment needs any repairs during your membership, your next six months are free.
- Expert advice from our trained and certified technicians. We will take the time to explain and answer any questions you may have, including advising you on the proper filter replacement schedule for your home’s unique needs.
It’s important to keep your filter in mind. It’s one of the easiest maintenance procedures, and it’s also the number-one cause of shortened life and needless malfunctions. A conscientious homeowner, combined with expertise of One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning, can greatly increase the effectiveness and longevity of your HVAC system. Call us today at (704) 323-8004 or contact us online, and be sure to ask for more information about the amazing benefits of our Comfort Club maintenance program membership.